The Grade 1 listed Ashton Memorial was commissioned by Lancaster industrialist Lord Ashton as a tribute to his late wife Jessy. It was designed by John Belcher and completed in 1909.
Externally, the dome is made of copper. The main construction material is Portland stone although the steps are made of Cornish granite.
Around the dome are sculptures by Herbert Hampton representing Commerce, Science, Industry and Art. The interior of the dome has allegorical paintings of Commerce, Art and History by George Murray.
At around 150 feet tall it dominates the Lancaster skyline. The first floor outdoor viewing gallery provides superb views of the surrounding countryside and out across Morecambe Bay to the Lakeland fells and mountains.