Volunteering is very rewarding
It's a very satisfying experience and can contribute towards building self esteem and self worth. It is also valued by employers and education/training organisations, and is an opportunity to make new friends and meet new people too.
Lancaster City Council receives invaluable help from the community to look after its local parks. Friends groups play a vital role in protecting and enhancing local parks, woodlands, play areas and green spaces in the area. Working in partnership with the council, they give residents a greater say in what goes on in their local park.
To find out more and join one of these groups, visit our Friends of Parks webpage or click the links below:
- Friends of Williamson Park
- Friends of Ryelands Park
- Happy Mount Park Volunteers
- Friends of the Storey Gardens
- Friends of Greaves Park
For information on other volunteering opportunities in the Lancaster district visit:
- Lancaster District Volunteering Centre
- Lancaster Green Spaces volunteering opportunities
- Beach cleaning volunteering opportunities
- Arnside and Silverdale AONB
- Canal and River Trust
Neighbourliness is also a type of volunteering. You can play a greater role in your community by:
- Keeping outside your house and your street clean and tidy
- Reporting dog fouling, litter, incidents, graffiti and fly tipping
- Setting up a community newsletter, web page, facebook page for your community
- Becoming part of your local neighbourhood watch scheme
- Getting involved in your area policing
- Having your say on issues in your area.
Another way of helping your local community is through Street Bank, which allows you to let people in your area know about items or skills that you are happy to share e.g books, DVDs, fancy dress, furniture, gardening tools, skills - gardening, languages etc.
It is easy to join, all you need to do is sign up with your postcode and add something that you would be prepared to help with, lend or give away. You will then receive a weekly newsletter to let you know what is available in your area.
Last updated: 11 February 2020